Dell PowerEdge T620
This entry was posted on September 1, 2016.
RAM Type: DDR3 RDIMMs, LRDIMMs
Max Ram Capacity: RDIMMs: 768TB(32GB dual rank DIMMs), LRDIMMs: 1536GB (64GB quad rank DIMMs)
Processor Socket Count: 2
Compatible Processor Series: E5-2600 v1, v2 or E5-1600 v1, v2
Number of Ram Slots: 24
Hard Drive Bays: 12 3.5" drives or 32 2.5" drives
BIOS Notes: Requires BIOS revision 2.0.19 or newer to E5-2600 v2 or E5-1600 v2 processors
64GB LRDIMM's require BIOS Revision 2.1.2 and E5-2600 v2 processors
The Dell PowerEdge T620 is a Tower based server that has the ability to be converted into a rackmount server when a mounting bracket and rails are installed. It features a proprietary Dell motherboard which is run by an Intel C602 series chipset (Desktop Similar is the X79 Chipset). This allows for dual Sandy Bridge-EP (E5-2600 v1 series) processors or Ivy Bridge EP (E5-2600 v2 series) processors (If BIOS revision 2.0.19 or newer is installed) and 24 slots for DDR3 RDIMMs or LRDIMMs
When running BIOS revision 2.1.2 or newer the maximum addressable memory for a single socket configuration is 768GB with Quad or Octo Rank Load-Reduced DIMMs. With a dual processor configuration, this figure is doubled to 1536GB. This is using 24 of the recently released 64GB LRDIMMs. If using a revision older than 2.1.2 then the maximum addressable will be 384GB in a single socket configuration or 768GB in a dual socket configuration. This is achieved using 24 32GB LRDIMMs. Of note, you cannot utilize 64GB DIMMs until the BIOS is updated and you may not use the memory slots assigned to a non-populated processor. An E5-2600 V2 processor is required to utilize 64GB LRDIMMs. To explain further, you cannot achieve the 768GB single processor maximum by using 24 32GB DIMMs because 12 of the slots are associated with the empty processor socket. The memory can operate at 1333MT/s in all configurations and ranks except for triple channel configurations. With RDIMMs the maximum then becomes 800MT/s in triple channel and LRDIMMs can still operate at 1066MT/s in triple channel
There are many storage configurations for the Dell PowerEdge T630. One option is 32 2.5" drives without the flexbay or 18 2.5" with the flexbay. Another option is 18 3.5" drives without the flexbay or 8 with the flexbay. The flexbay is essentially a riser card that allows the install of PCIe SSD cards in the front or additional hard drives or solid state drives.
A few major BIOS updates have been released since launch:
- Updated Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 V2 product family microcode to 428.
- Corrected an issue where VMware ESXi 5.1.x, QLE24xx cards stop responding during disk I/O when Intel Xeon E5-2600 V2 family of processors is used.
- Corrected a system crash issue while performing the change security key operation under 'Integrated RAID Controller PERC 710' Configuration Utility by using mouse.
- Added support for Windows 2012 R2.
- Added 64 GB LRDIMM memory support for Intel Xeon E5-2600 V2 family of processors.
- Adds support for E5-2600 V2 processors
- Added 1866MHz memory DIMM support for Intel Xeon E5-2600 V2 processor
- Updated the maximum supported frequency to 1600Mhz for RDIMMs and UDIMMs in both 1 DIMM per channel and 2 DIMMs per channel configurations, when operating at either 1.35V or 1.5V
- Updated the default maximum supported frequency to 1333Mhz for RDIMMs and LRDIMMs in a 3 DIMM per channel configuration
- Added updates for future GP-GPU support
- Fixed a potential hang issue in POST after "Initialization complete"